2nd Timothy: Spiritual War
Persevere in present testings, Persevere in future testings.
Background: Paul wrote to Timothy (in Ephesus) from a Roman jail around 67 AD Theme: Paul encourages Timothy to endure and fight the spiritual fight Outline: Persevere in Present Testings and Future Testings Key Verse: "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Tim 3:16-17, NIV)
Second Timothy Chapter Index
These notes use and refer to the Bible Knowledge Commentary (Vol 2, New Testament).
I. Salutation (1:1-2)
II. Call to Faithfulness (1:3-18)
1:6 "Fan into flame the gift of God." Every believer is given one or more spiritual gifts to be used in building up the Body of Christ. We cannot work up these gifts, they are given. But, Timothy is told to fan into flame the gift he was given. We are all to be diligent to use the gifts God has given us for His glory, and this may require a bit of effort on our part. One may be a gifted teacher, but he must study the word to know it well. Another may have the gift of encouragement, but she must still take the time to spend with people to encourage them. God enables us with spiritual gifts, but it is our responsibility to nurture and use them.
1:8 Paul was a prisoner of Rome only as God allowed it.
1:11 Paul was a criminal in the eyes of the world, as was his Lord.
III. Challenge to Endurance (2:1-13)
2:2 This was the early method of training leaders. Today the responsibility is often abdicated to a formal school. While Bible colleges and seminaries may do a fine job, they cannot totally replace personal discipleship and teaching.
IV. Marks of a Good Workman (2:14-26)
V. Predictions of Faithlessness (3:1-9)
VI. Challenge to Faithful Preaching (3:10-4:8)
3:16-17 This is an important verse to memorize. At times it would appear that the Bible can be put aside as we work in other areas. However, this verse reminds us that Scripture is the tool which equips us for every good work! Our study is not in vain! This is also in the context that Timothy was told (in this letter) to fan into flames the spiritual gift he was given. Having a spiritual gift does not remove the necessity to be in the Word.
VII. Reminder of Gods Faithfulness in Pauls Adversity (4:9-18)
VIII. Final Greetings (4:19-22)
New Testament Survey by Merrill Tenney : Highly recommend this book for a good background to the life of Jesus and the New Testament. The first half covers background, what the world was like under Roman rule and what the conditions of the Jews were. The second half gives background, outline, and introductions to each of the New Testament books (including Acts).
Bible Background Commentary (New Testament) by Craig S. Keener : Printed by InterVarsity Press, this is an excellent one-volume resource for understanding the customs and background (history, language, and geography) behind the verses of the New Testament. It is not an interpretation of the New Testament as are most commentaries, its purpose is to give background information. I highly recommend this to the serious student of Scripture, who already has a good grasp of the meaning and application of the New Testament.
Bible Knowledge Commentary (New Testament, Volume II) by the Staff of Dallas Theological Seminary : Admittedly a 'dispensational' interpretation, meaning that the authors take the book of Revelation very literally and teach that Jesus will take the Church out of the world before the 'Tribulation Period'. Although I do not agree totally with their opinions, I have found this to be a fair commentary, also explaining the views of others which the authors do not hold. If you use my notes you will receive some insight as to where the points of disagreement are. Highly recommended as the best short commentary on the market. I am easily in agreement with 98% of what this commentary teaches, and who knows if I am right about the other 2%??
1, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon by J. Vernon McGee : A popular paperback set written in a conversational tone. Explains and applys Acts in a devotional manner. Level of reading is High School and Adult.
2 Timothy by John MacArthur : A balance between the devotional and conversational commentaries by McGee above and the more scholarly and academic Expositior's following. Appropriate for a mature reader at College reading level.
"2 Timothy", Expositor's Bible Commentary, Vol 11, pp 392-418, by Ralph Earle: A scholarly commentary for advanced students and trained pastors, College and Graduate reading level. Deals with all major views of each passage of Scripture, along with notes on any textual and translation problems (notes on Greek text are perhaps useable by those without knowledge of that language, but intended for those with at least some familiarity with the language.)
Updated March 2012
Please send comments or suggestions to ron@iStudyBible.com